A plateau occurs because your metabolism — the process of burning calories for energy — slows as you lose muscle. You burn fewer calories than you did at your heavier weight even doing the same activities. Your weight-loss efforts result in a new equilibrium with your now slower metabolism.
It is vital to maintain a workout program that incorporates high intensity cardio as well as weight training, (you don’t need weights to build muscle, just your body can perform all sorts of movements that will build strong functional muscle mass.) If you are doing cardio alone to lose weight, you are simply losing muscle and water weight. Your metabolism will go down and because of that your body fat will increase. To lose fat you have to build muscle.
Absorb the following tips on how to surpass that weight loss plateau. It’s easier than you think.
1. Reassess your habits. Perhaps your portion sizes are too big, you’re not prepared with healthy snacks. I know you’re always hearing - eat often, at least every 3 hours, but do you know why that is so important? When you go without eating for 4, 5, or even 7 hours, your blood sugar drops, dramatically, you know the feeling, you’re cranky, jittery, low energy, have a headache - your body has been trying to tell you something. It says - we need food now, and once that food hits my lips, I’ll spike our blood sugar, increasing insulin production. Now that healthy meal of beans rice and chicken gets converted into fat. That way I can be prepared for the next famine you throw at me tomorrow.
If you don’t love yourself enough to at least provide healthy energy for your body regularly, do you really think that it will reward you with a rockin bod?!
2. You might need to eat more. I’ve never comprehended the notion that calories in equals calories out. Many people can gain weight on programs that over simplify our bodies, and stress the value of a specific daily caloric consumption.
Even if you’re eating 1,200 calories a day… too low in the first place…. But you’re skipping breakfast, having a small lunch of only a few hundred calories, and loading up on 800 calories at dinner and having an after dinner snack, well no wonder you’re bod isn’t rewarding you with uber sexiness. You’re consuming 2/3rds of your calories when your blood sugar is spiked and insulin and its demands for high volumes of fat storage dictate the game.
This person would see a tremendous benefit from consuming 300 – 350 calories per meal 5-6 times per day. Ha ha ha so wait, you’re telling me if I just eat when I’m hungry and stop eating when I start to feel full that I lose weight… Ludacris!
A list of some easy snacks to take on the go:
Sick of seeing photos of the typical chicken breast with rice and veggies, don’t worry you won’t see that here, food is glorious in all its colorful variety.
3. Do you get a full good night sleep every night? If you don’t give your body enough time to repair itself, hormones, chemicals, and all cellular processes of the body will be in trouble and likely fall out of balance. Being healthy is every choice we make, including the time we go to bed and wake up every morning.
4. Whatever you’re doing, look at this as your permanent lifestyle. This is not something you can do some of the time and give up on. Get out of that mindset forcing you to binge for the next two days because you ate a cookie today. That whole mentality stems from a lack of belief in oneself. This is your temporary fix. We don’t want you focusing on getting skinny right now, we want you to shift your focus to being healthy for life. Whatever you’re doing, is it sustainable, is this YOUR lifestyle, do you enjoy it? Is it easy for you to learn to maintain?
5. If you’re only doing this, eating healthy and exercising regularly thing because you hate yourself, you will never have true permanent weight loss success. The weight loss will only come when you recognize that all your effort, healthy dinners, packing lunches, getting your butt kicked at boot camp ;) has to come from a love for yourself, not hatred for yourself.
For the rest of the day pay attention to every belittling thing you say to yourself, yeah everything. It’s nuts, your subconscious can sneak in a nasty self-loathing remark in the quickest and seemingly harmless of times… now I want you to recognize that and start to correct it. List 5 things you love about yourself in your head, or out loud, right now….
There’s your ammo to fight your self-sabotaging subconscious. Let me tell you, if you become a pro at mastering your subconscious, there is no stopping you in every facet of life. For blog purposes we’re just going to focus on health. As Thanksgiving, and Christmas are right around the corner I’m betting some of you have begun stressing about all the goodies and the weight that you feel is inevitable to pack on - oh contraire. With a healthy lifestyle in place, full of self-worth and empowerment, you’re ready to embrace all the pleasures the Holidays have to offer, with no need to worry about gaining weight.
If we can get to work right now, we’ll have you on track to finish out 2012 loving yourself, appreciating your body, and understanding how to keep your mind and body healthy and full of good food and good thoughts.
Your health is your 1st priority from now on. I hope to see you and your friends at SLC Fit Collective. We have such a wonderful, supportive group of women that attend Ladies Only Bootcamp… oh and yeah, they totally kick butt! For the next week, so until Friday,September 28th, I’m extending a BUY ONE GET ONE FREE offer. This goes for all the passes, 10 class, 1 month unlimited, or 3 month unlimited. Workouts are so much more enjoyable when you have a buddy there with you.
The passes are all literally half off!!!!
10 Class pass, regularly $100, now $50!! -when you split the cost with a partner
1 month unlimited $75!!!! Regular price is $150
3 month unlimited $149!!! Regular price $300
You can buy the pass online or in the gym, any pass purchased within the next week will be good for two passes.
One last thing, everyone who signs up during this week is entered into a drawing to win a free custom made nutrition plan, as well as an hour long 1 on 1 personal training session complete with consultation.
Cheers to embracing the Holidays and embracing our beautiful bodies!!!!