The progression from initial weight loss to a weight-loss plateau follows a typical pattern. During the first few weeks of losing weight, a rapid drop is normal. In part this is because when calories from food are reduced, the body gets needed energy by releasing its stores of glycogen, a type of carbohydrate found in the muscles and liver. Glycogen holds on to water, so when glycogen is burned for energy, it also releases water, resulting in substantial weight loss that's mostly water.
A plateau occurs because your metabolism — the process of burning calories for energy — slows as you lose muscle. You burn fewer calories than you did at your heavier weight even doing the same activities. Your weight-loss efforts result in a new equilibrium with your now slower metabolism.
It is vital to maintain a workout program that incorporates high intensity cardio as well as weight training, (you don’t need weights to build muscle, just your body can perform all sorts of movements that will build strong functional muscle mass.) If you are doing cardio alone to lose weight, you are simply losing muscle and water weight. Your metabolism will go down and because of that your body fat will increase. To lose fat you have to build muscle.
Absorb the following tips on how to surpass that weight loss plateau. It’s easier than you think.
1. Pay Attention To Your Blood Sugar. Perhaps your portion sizes are too big, you’re not prepared with healthy snacks. I know you’re always hearing - eat often, at least every 3 hours, but do you know why that is so important? When you go without eating for 4, 5, or even 7 hours, your blood sugar drops, dramatically, you know the feeling, you’re cranky, jittery, low energy, have a headache - your body has been trying to tell you something. It says - we need food now, and once that food hits my lips, I’ll spike our blood sugar-increasing insulin production. Now that healthy kale & cucumber salad gets converted into fat instead of being burned for energy. Once you've allowed your self to get to that point, you're done burning fat for the day. You are in full on fat hoarding mode. You don't necessarily have to eat every 3 hours. If you're not hungry, you probably don't need to eat. But don't lie to yourself. Eat before you get cranky. Your friends, co-workers, and body will thank you.
If you don’t love yourself enough to at least provide healthy energy for your body regularly, do you really think that it will reward you with a rockin bod?!
2. You might need to eat more. I’ve never comprehended the notion that calories in equals calories out. Many people can gain weight on programs that over simplify our bodies, and stress the value of a specific daily caloric consumption.
Even if you’re eating 1,200 calories a day… too low in the first place…. But you’re skipping breakfast, having a small lunch of only a few hundred calories, and loading up on 800 calories at dinner and having an after dinner snack, well no wonder you’re bod isn’t rewarding you with uber sexiness. You’re consuming 2/3rds of your calories when your blood sugar is spiked and insulin and its demands for high volumes of fat storage dictate the game.
This person would see a tremendous benefit from consuming 300 – 350 calories per meal 5-6 times per day. Ha ha ha so wait, you’re telling me if I just eat when I’m hungry and stop eating when I start to feel full that I lose weight… Ludacris!
A list of some easy snacks to take on the go:
Sick of seeing photos of the typical chicken breast with rice and veggies, don’t worry you won’t see that here, food is glorious in all its colorful variety.
3. Do you get a full good night sleep every night? If you don’t give your body enough time to repair itself, hormones, chemicals, and all cellular processes of the body will be in trouble and likely fall out of balance. Being healthy is every choice we make, including the time we go to bed and wake up every morning.
4. Whatever you’re doing, look at this as your permanent lifestyle. This is not something you can do some of the time and give up on. Get out of that mindset forcing you to binge for the next two days because you ate a cookie today. That whole mentality stems from a lack of belief in oneself. Health is not temporary. Get out of that all or nothing mentality. And let's put that cheat meal, or cheat day idea to death. There's no cheating on life. How you do one thing, is how you do everything. Health is focusing on getting as much joy, color, energy, and fun activities out of life as possible. We don’t want you focusing on getting skinny, we want you to shift your focus to being healthy for life. Whatever you’re doing, is it sustainable, is this YOUR lifestyle, do you enjoy it? Is it easy for you to learn to maintain?
5. If you’re only doing this, eating healthy and exercising regularly thing because you hate yourself, you will never have true permanent weight loss success. Health will only come when you recognize that all your effort, healthy dinners, packing lunches, getting your butt kicked at boot camp ;) has to come from a love for yourself, not hatred for yourself.
For the rest of the day pay attention to every belittling thing you say to yourself, yeah everything. It’s nuts, your subconscious can sneak in a nasty self-loathing remark in the quickest and seemingly harmless of times… now I want you to recognize that and start to correct it. List 5 things you love about yourself in your head, or out loud, right now….
There’s your ammo to fight your self-sabotaging subconscious. Let me tell you, if you become a pro at mastering your subconscious, there is no stopping you in every facet of life. With a healthy lifestyle in place, full of self-worth and empowerment, you’re ready to embrace all the pleasures life has to offer.
If we can get to work right now, we’ll have you on track to be in full loving life, I can do anything mind set by Summer time. Sexy bikini beach vacation here I come! Appreciate your body for everything it can do, don't even think about what it can't do, we'll move past that soon enough.
Your health is your 1st priority from now on. I hope to see you and your friends at SLC Fit Collective. We have such a wonderful, supportive community here. And if you need an extra umph to get your sexy butt in gear, check out this amazing program that starts in 3 weeks!